Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thoughts

Have you ever woken up and just felt weird?...Today was that day for me, there was just something in the air that i could not put a finger on....everything just felt out of sync for me, can't tell why...hmmmm.....i know i have so many projects to accomplish and i have not even embarked on the first project...maybe that is why i feel weird?..don't know....... sometimes i feel like the biggest procrastinator on earth and it just irritates me, to see that i continue this pattern of behavior even after i had promised a million times that i would do better in that area....hmph!...anyhoos...i was thinking about naija today and was wondering what people in the diaspora (especially the U.S because that is where i live) can do to effect change and i'm talking from the grass root level. I have this burden for the little children in Nigeria who have like zero opportunities...what about them?...let me digress a little.....there is just something irritating when you meet a Nigerian abroad and they act like they don't know anything about naija, and they grew up there?...how do you grow up in a place and you claim not to know anything about the culture of the people?...c'mon...nah that ain't even right...I met this guy at a meeting his name was one of the most popular Yoruba names out there....i was so excited because i was the only other black person, so we started talking and i asked him what part of naija he was from....and this dudu boy gave me a blank stare, so i politely repeated myself thinking he may not have heard me but he told me he can't remember.....is this guy for real? i was so dissapointed that i focused on my oyinbo friends through out the night....after the meeting he came up to me and said he was from Lagos, confused i asked why he was telling me now....he said he didn't want the white people to start asking him stupid questions.....lame excuse if you ask me.....this brings me back to my heart for my people...the colonial mentality that many of us operate under is erroding our senses. So this is why i am interested in little children in nigeria to be able to reach and teach them what it is to be Nigerian and proud, also help in creating opportunities for them. I can't wait to go back home!...hurray for Nigeria (excluding the corrupt leaders ofcourse)

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one! How can you live in 9ja for 16-18+ years, leave to US/UK or college/uni for 4-5 years and then one starts acting as if they never lived in 9ja and could never live in 9ja? There is no place like home oh!! The onus is on us (9ja youth), both in Nigeria and in the Diaspora to be the change we wish to see in our nation - after all these ye ye corrupt rulers have been phased out sha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my sister....it's great to know that there are other naija youths thinking on a higher level jare

    ReplyDelete
  3. that guy is a douche bag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total douche girl!....but hey i guess that is how he rolls

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post!! i get annoyed about the same thing. I was born and raised here ( and i seem to know more about whats going on in the country than they do), but asking Nigerians who were born & raised in Nigeria is like trying to put thread into a tiny needle hole...so fustrating. They not only act like they dont know what im saying/asking them, they act like they never came from the country in the first place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ onosetale....i call it classic case of inferiority complex, girl i just keep it stepping when i meet people like that...it is so irritating, i can imagine your shock when you meet people like this...

    ReplyDelete